Awards and recognition
The university recognises its members and prominent public figures for their outstanding deeds and achievements.
The university gives recognition on three levels:
- central forms of recognition: the Contribution to Estonian National Identity award, the grant of honorary doctorate, the grant of honorary fellowship, the Pillar of the University award, and honorary decorations;
- annual awards for university members;
- awards and recognition granted by structural units.
All university members may make proposals for awarding an honorary decoration of the university via the proposal form.
The proposals may be made all the year round but to ensure that the senate and the rector can make the decision of recognition by the end of October, the proposal should be submitted by 20 September.
See the honorary decorations and their past recipients:
- Johan Skytte Medal
- University of Tartu Grand Medal
- University of Tartu Star of Appreciation
- University of Tartu Medal
- University of Tartu Badge of Distinction
- decoration “100 Semesters at the University of Tartu”
All persons who have been awarded a Skytte Medal, a Grand Medal or a Medal before 2020 have the right to receive a pinned medal. The respective application should be sent to the academic secretary.