Skip to main content

Visiting students from Estonian universities

International students of other Estonian higher education institutions are welcome to take courses from the University of Tartu, becoming visiting student here.

A visiting student may study at the University of Tartu for one or two semesters at the time. If wishing to come for longer time, new application process is needed. In questions regarding the organisation of study, the international visiting student will have all the rights and responsibilities of a student of the University of Tartu.

1. Find the courses you would like to take. Courses offered by the University of Tartu can be found in the SIS and you need to find the courses of your interest by yourself.

2. Complete an application and seek approval from your home university.

3. The application signed by you and by your home university may be sent to the general address of the UT institute or faculty, where the courses belong to. The application with the approvals of both universities will be sent to the Office of Academic Affairs (Jakobi 1), usually by an employee of the faculty. Thereafter the applicant will be registered as an international visiting student of the University of Tartu.

4. To take courses, students need to register for courses in the SIS. An international visiting student can register for the courses within two weeks from the beginning of the semester. Alternatively, an employee of the dean’s office can register the international visiting student for the courses (after the two weeks have passed). International visiting students can use the SIS from the date they start their studies, that is, the first day of semester, when they are registered as international visiting students. 

For using the Study Information System (SIS), the username and an automatically generated password of the UT computer network will be sent to the email address shown on the application of the international visiting student. The username and password are sent by the IT Helpdesk to the international visiting student’s email address only when the person is registered as an international visiting student for the first time; the same username can be used in later periods of study. If no email address has been given in the application, it is impossible to send the username and the password and in this case, the visiting student needs to contact the IT Helpdesk (

What to do when you have forgotten the password?

At the end of the study period, the dean’s office of the faculty or the office of the institute/college issues a transcript of records to the international visiting student. To receive the transcript, please contact the dean’s office of the faculty or the office of the institute/college.

The studies of an international visiting student can be extended based on the student’s application, if the same course continues in the next semester. The application must be submitted to the faculty or institute.

At the University of Tartu, tuition-free studies as an international visiting student are available to the international students of the following Estonian higher education institutions:

  •     Institute of Theology of the Estonian Evangelical Lutheran Church
  •     Estonian University of Life Sciences
  •     Estonian Academy of Music and Theatre
  •     Estonian Academy of Arts
  •     Estonian Aviation Academy
  •     Estonian Military Academy
  •     Estonian Free Church Theological Seminary
  •     Tallinn University of Technology
  •     Tallinn University
  •     Pallas University of Applied Sciences
  •     TTK University of Applied Sciences

The University of Tartu has made a respective agreement with these higher education institutions. 

International students of other higher education institutions not listed above are also welcome to study as international visiting students at the University of Tartu but tuition fee is applicable to them based on the price for credits (excl. in doctoral studies).

Academic calender

Registration for courses

Are you a student in University of Tartu and wish to take courses from other university?


Language certificates

Most of the foreign universities require as one application document a language certificate – students need to prove that they have sufficient knowledge of the language of instruction of the foreig

Lähiõpe jätkub.

Face-to-face teaching continues in the spring semester